1) Short Term Side Effects and Complication of gastric sleeve surgery
The short term complication of gastric sleeve surgery are similar to the gastric bypass, and can include all of the following within the first few weeks of the operation:
- gastric leakage (about 1 in 100 reported nationally)
- respiratory arrest, usually caused by pulmonary embolus or apnea.
- cardiac arrest (heart attack).
- physical injury
- organ injury (liver, spleen, intestines)
- bleeding and need for blood transfusion or reoperation (1%)
- wound infection (5% in open operations, less than 0.5% in laparoscopic)